The Borough of Naugatuck was incorporated in 1844 from Mattatuck, which is known today as Waterbury. The Town and Borough were consolidated in 1893 and ratified in 1895. After the construction of the train station and the booming commercial industry that had moved into the town and surrounding area, there became a great need for an organized police department.
In 1893, Naugatuck had seen its very first Chief of Police, George D Hosford and three regular sworn officers. Prior to having an organized police department, Naugatuck required the service of men in the role of constables and night watchmen.
In 1898, due to a ruling by the town Warden and Burgesses the police department was reorganized and Officer John B Schmidt was promoted to Chief of Police, along with three newly sworn officers, Anthony T. Malone, Lawrence Farrell and Samuel Grant. During this time, the police department utilized the position of Auxiliary and Supernumerary officers to assist with patrolling the Borough's properties. Many of these officers would provide their services after or before working a full time job with one of the manufacturing companies within the Borough of Naugatuck.
Today the police department has grown to fifty-nine full time sworn police officers and fourteen full-time, and six part-time civilian employees that work in the Records Department, Dispatch Center, Maintenance Department and Animal Control. The Naugatuck Police Department is headed by current Chief of Police Christopher Edson, and Deputy Chief of Police Josh Bernegger.